Optimizing a bit
Recently I’ve been working on optimization; both in terms of programming efficiency (still have a lot to learn) and in terms of sheer framerate. Of course, the two are often linked. So far the game runs on my machine in 1600×1200 at about 40fps. But my graphic card is a couple of years old and it’s a professional one, definitely not optimized for running games. So I’d be very curious to see how well it can run on an up-to-date gaming PC.
In the process I’ve also discovered that Unity’s OnGUI functions are awfully slow to display HUD textures. Probably because they’re called multiple times per frame. So I reverted back to simply updating GuiTextures whenever I need it and it’s so much faster. I still haven’t decided yet on a look for the interface though. I thought it was going to be really tricky to implement a health bar a la Dark Souls; when you’re hit, your health goes down instantly, but a “shadow health bar” goes down more slowly behind, so you can see how much you lost. But it literally takes ONE line of code to implement this functionality in C#.
I also refined the player control scheme (camera, displacement and animation) and the little guy is super responsive. It’s really fun to just run around and jump all over the scenery.
Anyway, while I was play-testing I emerged from under a dark stone-arch and the sun’s rays appeared; so I took a picture…