Archive

Archive for January, 2012

Detailing the Garthim

January 20th, 2012 3 comments

I’ve started detailing the Garthim model. It’s a lot of fun. I’m still learning Zbrush so I’m testing things and experimenting with alphas and different types of brushes. But I’ll get there eventually.

 

The interesting thing to note is that this is still the Dynamesh I started with. I haven’t had to break the workflow and retopologize anything (well, actually I started to but then I stopped when I realized that it wasn’t really giving me anything more). That in itself is a boon. Of course if this model were to be used in a game, then it would have to be retopologized for animation…

 

Since I sculpted each limb from a simple sphere I was able to maintain a fairly detailed surface on each separate element. Which would not have been possible had I tried to sculpt a single contiguous mesh. Along the way I also discovered (call me a newbie) that Zbrush’s entire display system is not at all based on the graphic card but rather on the CPU and memory. As a consequence you could sculpt in a window as big as your desk or small as a stamp post the refresh rate would be roughly equivalent. Color me surprised!

I’ll try to post some kind of “making of” pictures from the sphere(s) to the final model…

Categories: sculpting, update, Zbrush Tags:

Back to Zbrush (WTF!)

January 18th, 2012 No comments

So I finally relapsed into Zbrush. Yeah, I know. It still remains one of the most unintuitive and tautological programs I have ever used but I’m biting the bullet because of Dynamesh. It’s a new feature added in the latest version that fairly closely replicates the Sculptris paradigm: you don’t need to care about topology, you just sculpt away. So I started working on this Garthim sculpture (from The Dark Crystal), learning some of the brushes along the way. It’s by no means finished (I quickly threw a darkish material on it). I’ll try to refine it and paint it in the next couple of days.

Categories: sculpting, Zbrush Tags:

New poseLib version (now with more apple!)

January 18th, 2012 No comments

In case some of you wondered, a few days ago I have released a new version of poseLib which is now compatible with Macs. The core of the functions was recoded as a Python module. In consequence of witch applying huge poses to thousands of controls is now 3 to 4 times faster. Enjoy!

Categories: animation, Maya, MEL, python Tags: